Design Methodology & Process
Target Group: Age 16 – 35 women
App Platform: Iphone X
Role: Interaction/UI Designer
01 Define Exercise
Design a virtual try-on mobile app (an app that allows you to use your phone to virtually try on diﬀerent lipstick, eyeshadows, etc.)
- Help user achieve virtual try-on makeup purpose
- Increase user experience for makeup trial
- Provide makeup recommendation for different dress up
- Make user easy to use the app
- Allow user purchase the products on the app
- Help users find the right product to suit her/him most
02 Competitive Analysis
|Include different layers of eyeshadow||Too many products|
|Face recognition||No makeup recommendation for cloth types|
|Save look||Bad visual UI design|
|Product detail include price||Pool navigation|
|Different format to choose|
|Six type of makeup|
|Lipstick color range||Aberration|
|Product detail include price||Less product|
|Simple UI design||No makeup recommendation|
|Easy to use||Bad visual design|
|Only try-on for lipstick|
|Only one brand|
|Unable to save look or take pics|
|Unable purchase on the APP|
03 Research Methods
Qualitative Research is used to gain an understanding of underlying reasons, opinions, and motivations. It provides insights into the problem and helps to develop ideas or hypotheses for potential quantitative research. I use qualitative research because I need to gather specific problems and user experiences to develop my concept eﬀectively.
Qualitative Research（Individual Interview）
- Most two main makeup steps are eyeshadow and lipstick, and then eyebrow, eyeliner, blush, eyelash, etc.
- Just a few people use Sephora Virtual try-on function because of aberration concerns.
- Most makeup novices need makeup process in detail.
- Most people like to have makeup recommendations for diﬀerent styles and moods.
- People usually dress up and then makeup before going out.
- People prefer light color cosmetics packaging
04 Concept & Solution
Feature One — Makeup Recommendation
Purpose: Provide makeup recommendations for diﬀerent types of clothes and colors
Based on the clothes and colors, the App will provide appropriate makeups that allow users to choose. Users can also make adjust specified parts of cosmetics such as eyeliner style.
Users can directly view a product detail for the makeup they like. And then, the user can also complete a one-button command to add those products and easily purchase them.
Feature Two — Virtual Makeup Try-On
Purpose: Allow users to try on virtual makeup by computer vision
Design functions allow users to try virtual makeup based on computer vision techniques.
First theme: Light pink
Second theme: Light green
The reason why to create two theme for the App because we have consider di erent type of users. User can choose their favorite theme when they using the App. I choose pink and green because base on my research, pink is one of the most color to relate with beauty and green is one of the most color make people feel comfortable.